COATESVILLE SETTLERS HALL - Health & Safety Information
EVENT SET UP – KEY SAFETY POINTS
ACTIVITY – DECORATIONS FOR HALL
Person responsible – Event organiser
Equipment to be used
Activity – using ladders. Potential risk – falling off, bodily harm
1. Before use check ladder is not damaged and safe for use e.g. no loose rungs
2. Ensure that ladder is in secure position before being used
3. Always have two persons using a ladder, one person to hold securely and other to climb
4. Return all ladders to the storeroom ensuring safely secured
REFER TO LADDER SAFETY POSTER
ACTIVITY – SETTING UP TABLES
Person responsible Event organiser
Activity. Locating tables in hall. Potential risk – bodily harm, e.g. tables dropping on feet, sprained backs, pinched fingers.
1. Please ensure two persons handle each table
2. Ensure legs are properly secured by clicking in place
3. Avoid blocking fire exits and passageways with tables or any other equipment
4. Use table trolley (in store) to wheel into main hall if needed
5. When dismantling tables please neatly stack all tables wood to wood and metal legs to metal legs so tables don’t get damaged or fall off the trolley
6. Please ensure all tables are returned to the store room
REFER TO TABLES SAFETY POSTER
ACTIVITY – FLOOR HOUSEKEEPING
Person responsible. Event organiser
Activity Floor cleaning. Potential risk. Trip and slip hazards causing bodily injury
1. Keep floors and passageways clean, tidy and dry ensuring no trip and slip hazards
2. Ensure all cords, wires are taped down and passageways kept clear
3. Ensure all spillages are cleaned up to avoid slip hazards
4. For grease spillage ensure salt (from kitchen) is placed on spillage immediately & clean up with paper towelling
5. Once event set up has occurred, walk through the hall to check no slip, trip or falling hazards exist. Attend to any problem areas to ensure safety of all attendees.
REFER HALL SAFETY POSTER
CLEANING PROCEDURE FOR HIRERS & SMALL GROUP USERS
1. Sweep and mop up any spillages e.g. food, drinks, on Hall floor.
2. Take all rubbish with you.
3. Vacuum hall carpet in entranceway if needed.
4. Clean all bench tops in kitchen.
5. Please leave the hall as you found it
For all incidents and accidents which occur during your event, it is essential to ensure these are recorded in the logbook located above the defibrillator in the kitchen.
REFER INJURY in HALL POSTER
EMERGENCY PROCEDURES/RESPONSE PLAN
Please refer to the Emergency Procedure flipchart located on kitchen wall (by exit door) which outlines emergency procedures to be followed. In the event of an emergency dial 111 stating service required e.g. fire, police, ambulance and reason for emergency. Location is Coatesville Settlers Hall, 4 Mahoenui Valley Road, corner Coatesville-Riverhead Highway and Mahoenui Valley Road, Assembly area if required is on the Mahoenui Valley Road footpath opposite main hall entrance.
Potential emergencies – the following potential emergencies have been identified as possibly likely for this Hall:
Fire Follow emergency procedures on evacuation sign. If necessary dial 111 requesting Fire Service from outside building.
Earthquake Go to any open area away from risk of falling objects. Drop
Cover and Hold. Get under desks or strong structures no more than a few steps away.
Severe weather During a storm remain indoors
” Shelter in the strongest/smallest parts of the building – usually smallest rooms with smallest windows eg toilet areas
” If roof starts to lift, open windows on sheltered side of building
” Listen to radio for weather update and civil defence emergency information.
Building damage Advise Hall Custodian – Leanne 027 432 3317
Medical For emergency – dial 111 for ambulance/medical attention.
LOCATION OF EMERGENCY EQUIPMENT
Fire alarms Hall wall near mens toilet door & entrance passage
Extinguishers Hall wall, kitchen & entrance passage
First aid kit Near hot water urn close to fridge
Emergency flipchart In kitchen on wall by exit door
Procedure steps On wall in main hall by fire alarm
DEFRIBILLATOR IN KITCHEN ABOVE FIRST AID BOX
HIRERS – USE OF CONTRACTORS
The Hall Custodian maintains a record of all contractors used to service the Hall e.g. plumbers, electricians, Council officers. Contractors are required to complete the appropriate registration form with all relevant details including identification of any hazard details and necessary controls to ensure safe working.
Hirers of the Hall who use contractors for their event must complete the contractor registration form with the contractor, recording relevant Health and Safety details. Key information required is an identification of potential hazards arising from the contracting work and the necessary safety controls to ensure work is undertaken safely. The completed forms must be forwarded to the Hall Custodian prior to the event taking place.